Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Road Trip

We went on an adventure this long weekend. My daughter had signed up for a five week French immersion program (through Explore Canada) which meant we had to go on a bit of a road trip to Quebec to drop her off. Her program is at the University of Alberta campus located at La Pocatière (population 4200 located about an hour outside of Quebec City). She will be living in one of the dorm's on campus.  It was a very long trip made longer due to a truck fire just outside of Kingston. That added a little over an hour to our drive.  Then there was another slow down near Montreal where a plane had to make an emergency landing (on highway 20 heading west). This plane was hit by a truck so traffic heading west had to be diverted.  We were heading east and by the time we got there the plane was cleared away (we saw its crumpled mess on the flat bed of a truck) but drivers heading east slowed down to take a look so that added another hour to our travel. Don't know why people can't just take a quick glance and keep going. Anyway, these road mishaps added an extra couple hours to our travel.

One of the pitstops we made (for refuelling us and the car) was in an ONroute in Mallorytown, ON. (I'm sure where Mallorytown is - somewhere off the 401 heading east from Toronto to Quebec). In front of the A&W counter I found a 2008 penny (this was on June 30). 

I didn't find any other coins til the evening of June 30 in Quebec City. We met up with my daughter's friend and her parents in Quebec City where the six of us had really nice dinner in one of many restaurants. We decided stroll around Quebec City after dinner. It was there that I found my second coin of the day, another 2008 penny. Not sure the name of the intersection cause it was dark. 

And the fun didn't stop there. The next day (July 1) we hit the road again - destination La Pocatiere to drop my daughter off. We left her at the University and headed back to Quebec City for more fun and frolic. And guess what, I found two pennies in QC. I found the first one (a 2005 penny) in front of our hotel waiting for my husband. Yes, we stayed at the Delta. Nice hotel - clean, good location, comfy bed. Can't ask for much more.

We strolled around Quebec City, taking in the sites and that's when I found penny number two. It was a 2000 penny on Grand Allee est in front of large tree growing in front of the Cafe Starbucks.  To the left is the picture of the tree. To the right is the coin.. 

The final find of my road trip was found on July 2 - the day we headed back home. We stopped in one of the malls on Rue Laurier. Crossing the road from one mall to the next, I spotted a 1994 penny.

Total road trip finds: 5 cents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment