Sunday, December 4, 2011

Cash out pennies

I have a weekly lunch date with a friend. We used to work together many years ago. We still work for the same company but in different offices now. Our offices are across the courtyard from each other so we meet weekly to eat, catch up, gossip and sometimes, if there's time, we shop. We usually meet on a Thursday or Friday and have our staple of local restaurants we hit.

On Friday (December 2) we met at our usual Japanese place. Food is good, cheap and fast. There's the odd item on the menu that's so-so like their tempura (I think they cook it ahead of time and let it sit so by the time you get it, it's warm (not hot) and soggy.  The service is fast so often we have shopping time once we're done eating. On this date, we went to a discount book shop (BMV). I did buy a book - a hardcover version of Stephen King's On Writing for $4.99. After I had paid for my book, I looked down and found a 1999 penny by the check out. It was so shiny, it looked new.

Today (December 4), my mother-in-law (MIL) and I went to visit my mom who's currently in the hospital. The visit was pleasant. The mother's were exchanging growing up on a farm in Eastern Europe stories amongst others. After the visit, MIL and I popped into a grocery store. I needed to pick up a couple of things. The grocery store was huge - one I'd never been to before but we pass it en route to the hospital.  I picked up what I needed and went to the self checkout. When I was picking up my items off the check-out thingy, I spotted a shiny 2007 penny - it looked brand new. It wasn't my penny - must have been dropped by a previous shopper. I'm surprised that sensor didn't sense that penny lying there. That thing usually senses everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment