Monday, December 26, 2011

Twas the Day Before Christmas...

When all through the malls,
The crowds were hustling and bustling,
Stressing about...

I host my family Christmas Eve dinner. It's quite the event. This year the house sparkled and shone. There are sparkles on my mantle, on the banister, on the tree and little sparkly things that have trudged all through the house.

We were expecting 19 for dinner so the dinner table is quite cosy and tight.  We don't eat meat on Christmas Eve; it's seafood galore. Because it's a fishy meal, it's best to buy some of the fish day of so I had to run to the grocery stores in the morning. I hate crowds so lucky for me there weren't many people out shopping yet. I did find a lone cent in lying on the floor in one of the grocery stores I went to.  The year of the penny was 1972 which also happens to be the only year I went to see a department store Santa and had my photo taken with him.

For anyone interested in what was on the menu this year I made a fabulous mushroom soup, salmon with Hollandaise sauce, pickerel, shrimp, muscles in a white wine sauce, rice, three types of pierogi (I didn't make them), herring (delicacy made by my sister-in-law), vegetable salad made by the same (sister-in-law), yummy fried white fish (made by my mother-in-law), holiday salad (made by a close friend who always joins our Christmas Eve celebration with her family), and grilled peppers with pesto and feta cheese (delicious dish made by my other other sister-in-law). Lots and lots of wine and beer and other alcoholic beverages were consumed.

We had many desserts for Santa to choose from: we had two types of cheese cake, lemon tarts, apple cake, many different types of cookies and white chocolate and cranberry cake (I made the cake - I'm not a baker so although it tasted good, I couldn't get it out of the pan).

Gifts were opened, laughter, warmth and love of family was shared all about.

Hope your Christmas was as enjoyable as mine and your family is as wonderful and loving as I am blessed to have.

"... and heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight..


"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."




No comments:

Post a Comment